Bank End Equine Rescue. Company Registration No. 06914260
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Bank End Equine Rescue. Company Registration No. 06914260

Equine Forum dedicated to the rescue and rehabilitation of all equines in need

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Transition from snaffle to double

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
LindaW

LindaW

Number of posts : 65
Registration date : 2009-04-15

Transition from snaffle to double Empty
PostSubject: Transition from snaffle to double   Transition from snaffle to double EmptyThu Apr 16, 2009 11:53 pm

To save hijacking the myler thread - sorry!

Who has been through the transition schooling wise? It's 6 years since Salad and I did any serious dressage schooling. Before we stopped he was competing at medium level - only getting around 57%'s tbh, but we had just moved up and he did have numpty me on his back Wink

I'd started schooling in a double, but with a very soft mouth, I found he worried about it and curled up behind the contact. I preferred the feel I got from him in a snaffle, and we did stay in one through elem. Now I've ridden others in doubles, but never gone through the change of bit with them.

This all happened about the time we stopped, I'd just be interested in others experience?
Back to top Go down
Lorraine

Number of posts : 1248
Registration date : 2008-09-17

PostSubject: Re: Transition from snaffle to double   Transition from snaffle to double EmptyFri Apr 17, 2009 12:02 am

Sorry no experience with this but i would always suggest riding with two reins on the snaffle before attampting it on a double. For the riders sake as well as the horse.
Back to top Go down
toad22

toad22

Number of posts : 1499
Registration date : 2008-04-13

PostSubject: Re: Transition from snaffle to double   Transition from snaffle to double EmptyFri Apr 17, 2009 12:04 am

I am the same, ridden others peoples in doubles and had training/ exams ect, but gave up when came to pushing my own into one. Just wasn't that important to me to upset her, and as we went through a standing up phase many years ago, just wasn't prepared to go back to that with her.....life and being happy wi yr horse just is more important to me. My advice is, if they are going to be good enough to move on in dressage intro a double early enough. Goes against all my early beliefs re dont push your horse ect, now I think different, if you need to do ele, or think about med, move forward to a double when they are going well and young... just my thoughts Rolling Eyes many may think different....
Back to top Go down
toad22

toad22

PostSubject: Re: Transition from snaffle to double   Transition from snaffle to double EmptyFri Apr 17, 2009 12:06 am

I reckon u can have 2 reins on snaffles, rugby phelhams, but, nothing prepares them for a double really.... scratch Interesting though.....
Back to top Go down
LindaW

LindaW

Number of posts : 65
Registration date : 2009-04-15

PostSubject: Re: Transition from snaffle to double   Transition from snaffle to double EmptyFri Apr 17, 2009 12:07 am

Two reins I find easy, but used to ride Lippy in his double, and the little pelham was always with 2 as well - I'm quite good with my 'knitting'

(okay confession time, started adult horsey life on a SJ dealers yard Embarassed, got used to knitting as everything was in draw reins - so had years of practice being crash test dummy and all)
Back to top Go down
toad22

toad22

PostSubject: Re: Transition from snaffle to double   Transition from snaffle to double EmptyFri Apr 17, 2009 12:08 am

He he, best way, learnin to hold reins is easy, give yr sensitive ned a gobful of bits and ask them to move forward on on two tracks is another thing totally...
Back to top Go down
Lorraine

Number of posts : 1248
Registration date : 2008-09-17

PostSubject: Re: Transition from snaffle to double   Transition from snaffle to double EmptyFri Apr 17, 2009 12:13 am

i totally agree, but its a start. x Wink
Back to top Go down
toad22

toad22

PostSubject: Re: Transition from snaffle to double   Transition from snaffle to double EmptyFri Apr 17, 2009 12:22 am

Sure is! Very Happy x
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Transition from snaffle to double   Transition from snaffle to double Empty

Back to top Go down

Transition from snaffle to double
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Bank End Equine Rescue. Company Registration No. 06914260 :: Lorraine's Tack Shack-
Jump to: