Share | 

Bitless bridles

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Naturally

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2009-04-15

PostSubject: Bitless bridles   Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:42 pm

Have you ever ridden with one? Which one and what was your experience like?

I ride in rope halters sometimes, bought a dr bristol but don't like the action. Think I will get a saddler to stitch it together to stop its action, and use it instead of the halter, when I could do with something a bit stiffer for clarity of aids Smile

I usually ride traditionally in a standard snaffle bridle.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lorraine

Number of posts : 1248
Registration date : 2008-09-17

PostSubject: Re: Bitless bridles   Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:59 pm

I would love to have a ride on my pony in a bosal, to see if there is much difference, thats all. She is in a loose ring sweet iron french link, and a cavesson noseband.

I'm a bit confused with your dr bristol, how can a saddler stitch it together? What clarity of aids to you need, do you mean just a bit more responsive to you when the work gets a bit faster?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
zanda

Number of posts : 72
Registration date : 2009-01-05

PostSubject: Re: Bitless bridles   Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:09 pm

We tried our old girl in a bitless bridle as her mouth was sore - we got Dr Cook style webbing one off ebay just to try her with it - it took a couple of sessions for her to get used to the feeling as she had always been ridden in a snaffle before but then she was fine.

Once we start to start thinking about riding Ebs we are going to try it with her and see what she makes of it - when we first rode her she has fought against the bit.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
salee

Number of posts : 144
Registration date : 2008-04-19

PostSubject: Re: Bitless bridles   Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:56 am

i tried saltie in a cheapo bitless bought off ebay when she 1st started work again as her teeth and mouth had been neglected and we left a few weeks for her to recover after the vet has done his black n decker stuff to her teeth & since she was then 23y i assumed she would be quiet = wrong!

in a small paddock or the barn she goes really well in it, but i admit to bottling out of riding her out on the road or a hack in a bitless, she is quite a forward going old moo & i am not sure i could hold her?

now if she is ever going to work again i may try it again - we also had bennies gingi in 1 and he went just fine.

bye
Back to top Go down
View user profile
toad22

Number of posts : 1499
Registration date : 2008-04-13

PostSubject: Re: Bitless bridles   Sat Apr 25, 2009 2:33 am

The only time I tried one I dislocated my hip! Long stint in the hospital to the tune of 3 months. My pony went way out of control, tripped and rolled over me. I like my snaffle thanks! Good luck to all that try them, but never again for me Very Happy

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bitless bridles   

Back to top Go down

Bitless bridles
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Bank End Equine Rescue. Company Registration No. 06914260 :: Lorraine's Tack Shack-
Jump to: